Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fastfood .. kid friendly? Well, duh

We all know that fast food restaurants have advertised to kids, well I hope you realize that as you watched the McDonald's commercials as a child, that showed the funny characters, it was aimed at you, the child.

Anyway, I read an article to day on Huffington Post about McDonald's happy meals advertising to children.

DUH

How many of us with little kids remember hearing them in the background, or even being that little kid, asking from the back seat if we could get McDonald's for dinner or lunch.  Hell, I've called my husband at work on my way home from work and asked if it could be a take out night, which means pizza or McDonalds.

Parents and people in the health industry are taking fast food retaurants to task for their lack of "healthy food choices." Uhmmm if I wanted a healthy food choice I sure wouldn't be going to McDonald's in the first place, however, they are offering some fruit and other alternatives for their Happy Meals.  That's great, but if I was worried about it I wouldn't go there in the first place.

Let's get one thing straight, I do not take my kids to a fast food restaurant every other day.  I cook on average 4-5 nights a week, one night is left overs, sometimes two, and usually about every other week or so we get take-out.  My kids are healthy, eat their vegetables (Mikaela loves broccolli ... go figure) and my oh my neither one of them is overweight.

Isn't that the real problem?  We don't take the time to cook a healthy  meals anymore, sit down with your kids and talk to them about things such as healthy choices.  It's important for us to talk to them about making healthy decisions when it comes to sexual situations, but not food choices?

In my humble opinion, this is exactly what is creating a lot of the problems we face these days ... lack of parental involvement.  Get it together people, take half an hour out of your busy day to sit down with your children, after while they don't give a rat's ass about what you say anyway, so take advantage when they're young.

Oh and .... enjoy your double cheeseburger at reasonable intervals and pass me the french fries and chocolate shake for dipping said fries in while you're at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment